Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Something Other Than What You're Thinking Of

Lately there's been a rash of people saying I'm trying not to... and then finishing the sentence with a thought, an action, a person, a desire. My god! And all this time I've been trying to!

We all know there's nothing more appealing than shouldn't. I shouldn't eat the whole cake, I shouldn't call him, I shouldn't turn down the offer... It's almost like a guarantee: call something a negative in order to make sure it happens in the positive.

It also becomes a classic case of saying no to mean yes: the friend who calls themselves "naughty" if they purchase a purse in front of you; the co-worker who grunts about being a workaholic but happily tucks themselves into bed at their cubicle; the cat who doesn't want to get burned but keeps playing with fire.

I like to call a spade a spade, when I can. (Politeness being one weakness of mine that stops me. Does anyone know how to tell an instructor that you simply can't understand what they are saying because they mumble and talk in a whisper?) I like to kick out the drama in favor of the action. I check things off lists. I do laundry. I throw shit out.

But just for kicks, I torture myself my own writing assignments (which I should complete). Damn you, brain! Why must you always win?

No comments: