Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Your Employees Are Too Helpful

Today, I went to a local grocery store to pick up a few things. Now, this particular store is part of a national chain that I normally don't frequent. Perhaps I have missed the revolution amongst management, but last time I checked, wandering into a Safeway didn't amount to being in a family reunion where everyone wants to help you find produce.

Within the space of five minutes, not one but seven employees had accosted me with their plasticky greetings. I was preyed upon manhandling a peach, gazing at chicken wings, and peering down an aisle. I was looking at a label, considering a magazine, avoiding the liquor section. I was walking somewhere.

Wanting desperately to hunt down the leader of this Stepford salesclerkism, I pictured standing by the popsicles, and intoning in all seriousness, "Sir: your employees are too helpful!" I'd drive home the point: "If your employees keep talking to me this frequently, I am going to have to stop shopping here!" But would he understand?

After all, this is the kind of press that I imagine is the ultimate goal: that luxury and satisfaction are married in the long walk to the checkout aisle. As someone that prizes anonymity and feels more than capable--even desireous--of the hunt that is part of buying food, the thought that I'd want someone less versed in my particular foodisms picking out my dinner with me makes me cringe. I may not hunt wild boar or pluck blackberries from their earthen nest, but I am capable of filling a sack or two. Isn't that what having freedom of choice is about: I worked for the money that I then choose to use on what I will?

But these pizza-peddling Pollyannas are trained to comment even as I fork over a twenty. One gropes my Ben & Jerry's; another makes the "Mm-m-mm" noise as she piles my wings into a bag. Like a coyote, I want to find kill and eat in silence and without help. I claw home, gnaw off the lid and let my wolfen tongue pile on the mintyness. Give me what little dignity, in this world, I have left.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, so here's my counter: i went into Draegers yesterday to beg cheat and steal a platter of extremely overpriced finger sandwiches for Senior Management's impromptu visit ("make me look good meghan, but not too good...ice sculptures are too extravagant"). I walk in and despite the Hamiltons am Looked Down Upon and made to feel unwelcome by both patrons and employees. Is it better to have the overeager Safeway clerk with his plastic "can I help you find something ma'am?" (..."ma'am"!?!?!) or the haughty Draegers clerk look that implies 'what are YOU doing here?!'

The jury is out.

Audrey Dundee Hannah said...

I think there's a beautiful middle road, and I suspect it may involve Trader Joe's.

(Man...I think you should have brought back a frozen swan...)