Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In Case You Were Interested In A Website That Spies On You

Thanks to a friend's heads up, I discovered Spokeo.com. Don't be fooled: that cute blue hedgehog standing in for an "o" is actually a corporate spy! Spokeo collects various facts about you and posts them up for anyone to find. More detailed information can be had for a price, but even without extra coin there are addresses and phone numbers and key statistics. You can remove yourself from the site by clicking on the "Privacy" link on the lower right hand side, but first you might want to review what's being said about you. In my case, that I have children and am not interested in politics. What? Other choice information included that I do not have central heating in my apartment, and that I am a Scorpio. Children? Apolitical? Scorpio? Okay, it does get cold in the winter. The best little bit was this: "is self-driven." What are you going to do with that, marketers? Let's see what you can sell me and call internal motivation.

No comments: