Friday, February 26, 2010

Life Choices!: Escalade vs. Washing Machine

How ludicrous to own a pair of pricey jeans that have to be washed at a sticky laundromat, I thought, loading the machine. My personal meditation on incongruous price points, however, was cut short by a woman pulling up to do laundry at the same place...in an Escalade. The vehicle was so large I wondered why she hadn't used space in the back to install her own washer and dryer, let alone purchased laundry machines and then used the rest of the money to buy a human-sized car. Would I rather be pay for a giant gas-guzzler, or would I rather hang and fold in the comfort of my own home? Fear that I was mowing over small children as I drove, or not have to lug dirty clothes around town? Look like a tool, or have clean loot? The MSRP on a brand-new Cadillac Escalade is $62,495 to $84,125. Washer/dryer combos run about $550-$1600. And in case you were wondering, no, the woman did not have an entourage following her out of the mothership. Just a sleepy husband and one tiny kid to announce her life choices.

No comments: